Come drop off items for Recycling!
Montgomery Township Environmental Commission and Sustainable Montgomery will hold the 14th Annual Earth Day Fair on Sunday, May 5, 2019, 9 AM to 3 PM. This year’s free Fair will be held at Skillman Park (with drive-up recycling drop-offs only after 12 NOON). In addition to providing many recycling opportunities, this year’s fair will include family entertainment and educational tables.
The event will be held at Skillman Park, between Larocque Circle and Village Elementary School (GPS: ~150 Main Blvd, Skillman, NJ 08558 – see https://www.runwithrotary.org/Maps/p/781/
This year’s Earth Day Fair will be held in conjunction with the Montgomery / Rocky Hill Rotary Club and occur alongside the Run with Rotary that morning.
The Recycling Fair provides collections for recycling a great variety of items.* The ability to drive-up to drop-off materials for recycling will be available 12 noon to 3 PM only, due to the concurrent Run with Rotary event, BUT from 9 AM until 3 PM materials other than metals, electronics, and paper can be walked-in from where you park and dropped off at the designated areas. ALL materials for recycling can be driven-in from 12 noon to 3 PM. The trucks collecting metals, electronics, and paper will not be available before 12 noon. The following is a list of the items we can accept:
- Paper documents for secure shredding (staples & paper clips are ok, but no newspapers or binders)
- Electronics (anything with a cord.) Old but working computers & tablets will be donated to Trenton Digital Initiative.
- Expired/unwanted medications – to be collected by the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office)
- Flower pots
- ‘Like new’ office supplies (pens, markers, highlighters, notebooks)
- Spent pens, markers, highlighters, and plastic utensils – to be collected by the MHS Environmental Club for recycling by Terracycle
- Printer/toner cartridges
- Sneakers, soccer, softball & baseball equipment
- Tennis equipment (racquets, covers, bags) – for national Junior Tennis and Learning of Trenton
- Children’s books – Carolyn Stokes Preschool, a Trenton area preschool library
- Children’s toys – Used Plastic Toys (clean, not broken) – to benefit Second Chance Toys – No slides, pools, sandboxes, car seats, fast food premiums, stuffed animals
- Bicycles for Boys & Girls Club bike program
- Clothing & shoes (new or gently used) – to benefit the Rescue Mission of Trenton
- Business attire – for Dress for Success (women) and UIH Family Partners (men)
- Golf Clubs – for First Tee of Raritan Valley
- Personal hygiene products (new items only) including: chapstick, toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, soap, comb/brush, feminine hygiene products
*Please note, no other waste or recycables will be accepted (e.g. plastic, paint cans, batteries, wood, household hazardous waste) except the items listed above. See the Township’s Container Facility regulations for disposal of items that are not recyclable, not hazardous waste, and that cannot be collected by their trash hauler. For disposal of items such as household chemicals go to Somerset County Household Hazardous Waste Days page.
Also, we are asking residents who participate in the Earth Day Fair to please bring a donation for the Montgomery Food Pantry. Any non-perishable item is welcome, but the following are suggestions of much needed items:
Laundry detergent (small size only please)
Paper products (napkins, paper towels, toilet paper)
Canned tuna & canned chicken
Cake & brownie mix, frosting
If you have questions, please contact Environmental Commission/Sustainable Montgomery member Frank Derby at firstname.lastname@example.org or Montgomery Open Space Coordinator Lauren Wasilauski at email@example.com. Thank you!